How to Hide Multiple columns

Hi @shaun ,

Can you please help me to hide multiple columns of a grid.
I didn’t see option to hide columns in tool itself, can we can do it by Custom Styling of grid may be JS ?

@rawadhwal when you say “grid” are you referring to table visual?

If yes, then refer to this post on hiding columns in table visual using JS:

But the basic CSS would be:

.test .dataTables_scrollBody tbody tr :nth-child(2) {
   display: none;
}
.test .dataTables_scrollBody thead tr :nth-child(2) {
}
.test .dataTables_scrollHead thead tr :nth-child(2) {
}

1 Like

@shaun; Thanks for the help, the CSS provided works well with normal table but it doesn’t work with cross tab ?
Can you please suggest formatting for Cross-Tab visual.

@rawadhwal Here’s an example cross tab:

After applying the below CSS it hides the first few columns:

CSS

.total .viz-crosstab-table > tbody > tr:nth-child(n+4) > td.viz-td-header:nth-child(1) {
}

.total .viz-crosstab-table > tbody tr:nth-child(3) {
    display: none !important;
}

.total .viz-crosstab-table > tbody > tr:nth-child(2) > td.viz-td-header:nth-child(1) {
}

.total .viz-crosstab-table > tbody > tr:nth-child(1) > td.viz-td-header:nth-child(1) {
}

.total .viz-crosstab-table > tbody > tr:nth-child(n+4) > td.viz-td-header:nth-child(2) {
}  
1 Like

@shaun: Thanks the CSS worked.
Do we have any repository where we have these CSS and JS codes ?
For Cross-Tab I am not able to adjust column width just by hovering over the column and adjust like we do have for simple tables. How can I achieve that ?

@rawadhwal The CSS/JS are not specific to Arcadia. These are general HTML/Web languages you would have to learn. We can only provide you with some basic examples as those shown in our online community.

As for column width, cross tab doesn’t have the same controls as normal tables.

The only other option that’s available is shown below, where you can disable “full table width”.

@shaun, I would need your suggestion to handle below scenario. Could you please with your ideas.

We have a scenario where one table with total 10 fields and user should be having a prompt to select any of the fields out of 10 fields and then visual/dashboard should show data only selected fields. Can you please provide your suggestions with some examples.

Thank you for your help!

@Ganesh You will have to use our parameters framework to accomplish this. There are several articles around using parameters along with an intro training video that I recommend you review first.

Dynamic text in visual titles based on filters / parameters

Using parameters to perform arbitrary search for column values (wildcard search)

Once you understand how parameters can be used, the below example will make sense. Here’s the final state of the dashboard - notice that selections in the filter will add new columns to the table

dynamic_table

Setup

There are two components to the setup:

1. Custom filter which has the list of all dataset fields you want to select from
  2. Visual configuration where we use the filter parameters to then show specific columns

Overall this is what’s happening:

Custom Filter setup

You need to use a custom filter where you specify the list of field names as the “value” , here’s an example:

Also under the “Display Settings” we need to enable “Emit distinct parameters for each selected item” option.

This is important because that will set one parameter for each field that’s selected. In our example, if “Province” is selected notice that there’s a new parameter called “Province” with value “[province]”. The same goes for “Customer Name”.

Visual configuration

Now that we have our customer filter configured to set parameters, we need to configure our visual to use those parameters as dimensions.

We need to use custom expression as shown below for each field / parameter. Here’s an example for the province parameter we want to use:

<<Province:>> as "Province"

This is used in the dimension shelf:

We repeat this for all the parameters, here’s an example expression for the “Region” parameter:

Once you are done, safe the visual and dashboard. And start testing.

Thank you so much for your quick solution, but if I could create a table in database with both value and label, how can I use that in our prompt(Rows).

@Ganesh not yet supported. You need to create a custom filter and enter the values manually for now.

@shaun: I want to achieve cascading in custom filter.
Ex: Filter1–>Filter2(Custom Filter).
If not supported then can I achieve this using JS custom style??
Hide the specific value of Filter2(Custom Filter) based on value selected in Filter1.

@rawadhwal currently it’s not supported

@Shaun,

Tried the same options in my dashboard. After entering the <Province:> as “Province” in “Enter/Edit Expression” then Province column is going to invisible mode/hide.

Could you please help me, is any other settings are missing other than the one you had shown in above screen shots?

Thank you!

@chaitanya_lanka that is expected. If there’s no parameter called <> set then that column will be hidden from the table/visual view.

You will need to add a custom filter that sets the Province parameter to then be used in your visual as shown here:

Have you added a custom filter that sets “Province” parameter ?

Thanks Shaun.
Yes, i added a custom filter and trying to select that fields which are required, but nothing is coming up.

@chaitanya_lanka what do you see when you hover the funnel at top right of the dashboard?

The parameter names should match the parameter you used in your visual expression.

Funnel at top right of the dashboard is showing the values that i am selecting. But the issue is, not showing the columns which i am selecting.

@chaitanya_lanka okay, a few other checks:

1. what version of arcadia are you running?

2. Can you confirm you are using double angle brackets in the visual expressions?

3. If you put <<Province:>> in the subtitle of the visual and save & close the visual. What do you see in dashboard view mode?

1. what version of arcadia are you running?
    >> Using Arcadia Enterprise 4.4 version
  2. Can you confirm you are using double angle brackets in the visual expressions?
    >> Yes, using double angel brackets
  3. If you put <<Province:>> in the subtitle of the visual and save & close the visual. What do you see in dashboard view mode?
    >> Not showing anything in the dashboard view.

@chaitanya_lanka okay something is not setup correct. I would expect the parameter to be picked up in the title at least.

Can you check the below dashboard setting – “case sensitive”? enable it and see if it makes a difference.