Embedding website links, pdfs, and other assets into Arcadia Apps

Embedding links and assets within Arcadia Visuals can be a great way to integrate your Apps and Dashboards with external websites as well as contain all the resources a user would need within a single interface as they work through their analysis.

For example, if I want to share a PDF that contains documentation or helpful notes with respect to my Dashboard or App, I can upload that asset to Arcadia (using Static Assets upload feature), and then display my PDF within an Arcadia Visual:

Embedding links and assets can be done in 3 ways:

• Using the Link Visual
  • Using the Extension Visual (with custom HTML)
  • Using the Rich Text Visual

Caveats when embedding links or assets (i.e. pdfs) into Visuals:

1. iframing must be allowed by a website that you plan to link or embed within your Visuals. If iframing is not allowed, the website will not load within your Arcadia Visual.

21%20PM

1. Serving HTTP content within an iframe when your application is using HTTPS will not work. To get around this issue you will need to host the content on a server that has a valid SSL certificate and will respond properly to HTTPS requests.

53%20PM

Embedding using the Link Visual

The Link Visual in Arcadia allows you to choose a URL for an external website or a relative URL to an asset uploaded in Arcadia and load the display of that website or Asset within an Arcadia Visual. PDFs will generally be the easiest to embed (see here for a list of acceptable file formats for Static Asset uploads).

Example: Upload PDF to Arcadia Static Assets and display PDF in Visual

35%20AM

24%20AM

Result:

Embedding using the Extension Visual

The Extension Visual in Arcadia allows you to populate your own custom HTML and have it displayed as a Visual in Arcadia. Within the context of embedding links, this means you have the option to use your own iframe tags If you want more control over how the iframe area is displayed in the Visual and within the Dashboard.

Example: iframe Arcadia Documentation into Extension Visual

52%20AM

Result:

Embedding using the Rich Text Visual

The Rich Text Visual allows you access to a full WYSIWYG (pronounced “wiz-ee-wig”) editor to construct your text, links, embedded images and videos, etc. and have it displayed as a Visual in Arcadia without constructing any HTML. When you have links that can’t be displayed or iframed within a Link or Extension Visual, the Rich Text Visual is a nice second option.

Example: Display external links that can’t be embedded

29%20PM

Example: Display Video within Rich Text Visual

00%20PM

Result:

Putting it all together in an App

Once you’ve created your embedded Link, Extension, and/or Rich Text Visuals within their respective Dashboards, you can add those dashboards to a new or existing tab within your existing App. For example, I’m embedding the Arcadia Documentation Link, Cheat Sheet pdf, and some additional links as separate Dashboards that will then be added to a new tab called “Documentation” within my App:

And now when my App is launched I can see my new “Documentation” tab and click on any of the Dashboards in the dropdown menu to select the particular documentation, asset, or list of links I’m interested in.

1 Like